Mass. Firefighters Treated After Hazmat Exposure

The Lawrence firefighters encountered a yellow haze at the metal finishing business.


July 13--LAWRENCE -- A hazardous materials incident sent four city firefighters to the hospital early this morning.

All four firefighters were treated at released at Lawrence General Hospital for inhalation issues they suffered after responding to a 1:26 a.m. call at 22 Ballard Road, said Acting Deputy Fire Chief Jack Meaney.

Ntek Inc., a metal finishing business, is located at 22 Ballard Road in the city's industrial park.

Three area homes, two in Andover and one in Lawrence, were evacuated, Meaney said.

The firefighters apparently encountered a yellow, smoke condition when they responded to the building, according to incident information posted by the Lawrence Firefighter's Union Local 146.

All firefighters were immediately ordered out of the building by Deputy Chief John McInnis and were hosed down as a safety precaution, according to the union.

It's unclear what chemicals or materials the firefighters came in contact with.

The incident remains under investigation this morning by Lawrence firefighters, the state's Department of Fire Services and a team of firefighters specially trained to deal with hazardous materials situations.

Ballard Road is located off Andover Street near the Andover line.

Follow staff reporter Jill Harmacinski on Twitter @EagleTribJill.

Copyright 2014 - The Eagle-Tribune, North Andover, Mass.