Fumes at North Dakota Laundromat Hospitalizes 14

Sept. 01--WATFORD CITY -- Fourteeen people have been hospitalized after visiting a laundromat in Watford City, according to a news release.

Police and emergency services responded to the unnamed laundromat at approximately noon on Sunday, where an 18-year-old woman passed out. After the initial call others became sick and were taken to the hospital.

The local fire department and Montana-Dakota Utilities joined the North Dakota Department of Health onscene. Officials initially believed exhaust from a malfunctioning vent, a graffitti degreaser and bleach cocktail that were being used to wash clothes, and a high concentration of carbon monoxide in the air caused the people to get sick.

As of 4 p.m., the 14 people that were sent to the hospital were treated for non-life threatening injuries.

The laundromat has been cordoned off and the gas line shut off from the building. The business will remain closed until a full investigation is undertaken, according to the release.

The health department and emergency services are investigating the incident.

Copyright 2014 - The Dickinson Press, N.D.

Loading