Gas Fumes Explode in N.C. Garage, Injuring Man

Sept. 02--RALEIGH -- A man was burned on one arm and a firefighter suffered a back injury when a garage behind a home erupted in flames while the man was working on a car, the fire department said.

The fire happened about 1:45 p.m. Monday at 4809 Gun Powder Place, a cul-de-sac in the northeast part of the city.

Lt. Grant Williams, a fire investigator, said the first firefighters on the scene saw flames at the back of the two-story home, which has an attached garage, then found the heavy fire was in a detached two-car garage where two classic cars were kept.

The man who lives in the house was working on one of the cars when gasoline fumes ignited, Williams said.

The man's burns were minor, and he did not need hospitalization, Williams said.

The injured firefighter was taken to a hospital for examination.

Firefighters estimated the fire damaged 70 percent of the garage.

Copyright 2014 - The News & Observer (Raleigh, N.C.)

Loading