Duplex Fire Injures 1 Occupant in Georgia

On Friday, June 24, 2005 at 7:59 am, Gwinnett County, Georgia, firefighters were called to a duplex fire at 3341 Fox Street in Duluth.


On Friday, June 24, 2005 at 7:59 am, Gwinnett County, Georgia, firefighters were called to a duplex fire at 3341 Fox Street in Duluth.

On arrival, firefighters found heavy flames shooting from one side of a two-unit duplex building.

An adult occupant was injured during the fire and was transported to Joan Glancy Hospital in Duluth for observation.

The fire extended to the attic and eventually broke through the roof of the single story wood-frame building.

The duplex unit where the fire started was heavily damaged. The adjoining duplex unit received extensive smoke, heat and water damage.

Firefighters brought the blaze under control at 8:23 am.

The Red Cross was called to the scene to assist nine adults and three children who were displaced by the fire.

According to investigators, a toddler playing with a cigarette lighter in a back bedroom started the fire. "Parents should keep matches and lighters out of the reach of children," said Thomas Rutledge, spokesman for the Gwinnett Fire Department. Children should be taught that matches and lighters are tools and should only be used by adults. If children find these items in the home, they should tell an adult immediately.

For additional information on fire safety, please contact the Programs & Services section at (678) 518-4850.