Popular Indianapolis Restaurant Burns



A popular restaurant on Indianapolis' southeast side was heavily damaged in a fire early Tuesday morning.

Santorini's Greek Kitchen, in the 1300 block of Prospect Street, has been a staple of the Fountain Square area for years.

One side the restaurant was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived at about 12:15 a.m.,

6News' Julie Pursley reported.

The fire was likely sparked by an electrical problem in the kitchen area, Indianapolis firefighters said. Damage was estimated at $800,000.

One of the restaurant's owners, Jeanette Sawi, said she and others will work quickly to get the restaurant back open.

"Half the time anybody tells us it's going to take -- we're going to work and do it as quickly as we can," she said.

The blaze was brought under control within an hour, Indianapolis fire Capt. Rita Burris said. About 75 firefighters were involved in the fight.

Santorini's has been in Fountain Square for seven years. The restaurant was insured.

Popular Indianapolis Restaurant Burns

Copyright 2010 by TheIndyChannel.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.