Shortly before 10:00 am, 25 firefighters (5 engine companies, 1 ladder company, 1 heavy rescue company, and 4 command/staff personnel) from Greeley's Union Colony Fire Rescue Authority responded to a report of a natural gas line that had been cut and possible house fire.
Upon their arrival fire crews found fire shooting from a hole in the ground between 2 houses, being fed by a gas line that had been hit by a landscapers trenching machine. One of the adjoining houses was on fire with flames threatening the house on the other side of the hole.
Crews quickly started extinguishing the fire on the outside of the burning house. Firefighters forced entry into the burning house to check if anything was burning on the interior. Crews on scene called for a second alarm to bring more personnel and equipment to assist in mitigating the incident.
Once the burning house was extinguished, crews then concentrated on the burning gas line.
Earlier in the incident, command personnel had requested the gas utility to respond. While gas utility workers began locating and shutting down the gas line feeding the fire, firefighters sprayed water onto the adjacent homes to prevent then from igniting again.
After approximately 30 minutes, the gas line was shut down and fire crews began searching for, and extinguishing hot spots in the burned home.
No injuries were reported, although 2 firefighters were treated at the scene for heat stress related symptoms. Damage is estimated to be $15,000 to $20,000.
See Related Training Articles