f. Pedal displacement
g. Dash roll-up
J. Removal and Transfer
1. Assisting with victim removal
1. Scene clean up
II. Practical Activities
This portion of the class consists of demonstration by the instructor followed by practice by the students under the supervision of an instructor.
A. Stabilize vehicles using a box crib, step chocks, mechanical and hydraulic jacks, and air bags (1-2)
B. Gain access to a road passenger vehicle using a spring loaded center punch, an axe, and a haligan bar (1-3)
C. Demonstrate disentanglement as follows: (1-4)
1. Door removal using hydraulic spreaders at the latch and in the window, hydraulic cutters at the
hinges and the door post. Also consider using wrenches or sockets to remove a door.
2. Roof opening and removal using a hack saw, an air chisel, hydraulic cutters, and electric
3. Seat displacement using the seat adjustment device in the vehicle and hydraulic cutters
4. Steering wheel cutting using bolt cutters
5. Steering column displacement using the steering column tilt device (if present). Students should be
discouraged from displacing columns by any other means.
6. Pedal displacement using chain or rope and high lift jack
7. Dash roll-up using hydraulic rams or mechanical jacks
NOTE: All students are expected to perform all the practical skills to the satisfaction of the evaluators. Assistance should be provided when required.
The instructors should conduct a review of the practical activities, discuss any problems observed, solicit student comments, and summarize the activities.
• Demonstrate knowledge of scene operations
• Demonstrate knowledge of vehicle stabilization
• Demonstrate knowledge of hand and power tool use
• Demonstrate knowledge of vehicle entry and disentanglement
All students are expected to perform all the practical skills to the satisfaction of the evaluators. Assistance should be provided when required.