E. TOPIC: CPR/OBSTRUCTED AIRWAY
1. Answer: Used to check for pulselessness on an unconscious, adult patient.
Question: What is the carotid pulse?
2. Answer: The first action that an EMT would take when coming upon an unconscious
Question: What is determine responsiveness?
3. Answer: When breathing and heart action stops.
Question: What is clinical death?
4. Answer: First action to take when a patient is not breathing.
Question: What is give two breaths?
5. Answer: From birth to one year of age.
Question: What is an infant?
F. TOPIC: CPR/OBSTRUCTED AIRWAY – PART II
1. Answer: Should be treated by repositioning the airway and reducing the size of ventilations.
Question: What is stomach (gastric) distention?
2. Answer: Repeat 6 to 10 abdominal thrusts until the patient becomes unconscious.
Question: What is the treatment of a complete obstruction in a conscious adult?
3. Answer: Alternate back blows, chest thrusts, and ventilation attempts.
Question: How do you clear an infant’s obstructed airway?
4. Answer: The technique used to provide ventilations to a patient with a fractured mandible.
Question: What is mouth-to-nose ventilation? (May accept mouth to mask with further
5. Answer: Modified jaw thrust.
Question: What is the technique used to open the airway in a patient with suspected
G. TOPIC: RESPIRATORY SYSTEM
1. Answer: The air sacs in the lungs where gas exchange with the bloodstream takes place.
Question: What are the alveoli?
2. Answer: Also called the windpipe, it carries air to and from the lungs.
Question: What is the trachea?
3. Answer: The phase of breathing when the intercostal muscles and diaphragm contract.
Question: What is inspiration? - What is inhalation? ALSO ACCEPTABLE
4. Answer: The passive phase of breathing.
Question: What is expiration? - What is exhalation? ALSO ACCEPTABLE
5. Answer: The sound usually caused by the tongue obstructing the pharynx.
Question: What is snoring?
H. TOPIC: RESPIRATORY SYSTEM – PART II
1. Answer: 500 cc of air.
Question: What is the average breath of an adult?
2. Answer: Blood moving from the right ventricle to the left atrium.
Question: What is pulmonary circulation?
3. Answer: Coarse popping or snoring noises.
Question: What is rhonchi?