- Benzaquin, P. (1959). Holocaust! The shocking story of the Boston cocoanut grove fire. New York: Henry Holt and Company.
- Society of Fire Protection Engineers. (2002). SFPE handbook of fire protection engineering (3rd ed.). Quincy, MA: National Fire Protection Association.
- Fire Brigades Union (FBU). (1996). Fatal accident investigation: 14 Zephaniah Way, Blaina Gwent 1st February 1997 report and conclusions. Surrey, UK: Author.
- [Florida] Division of the State Fire Marshal (2002) 26-02-3753 Investigative Supplemental Report #5. Retrieved October 26, 2006 from http://www.fldfs.com/SFM/pdf/Case%2026-02-3753.pdf
- Hall, J. & Cote, A. (2003) An overview of the fire problem and fire protection, in Cote, A. (Ed.) Fire protection handbook, (19th ed.). Quincy, MA: National Fire Protection Association.
- Hartin, E. (2006). Extreme fire behavior: Smoke exposion. Retrieved August 25, 2006 from http://cms.firehouse.com/content/article/article.jsp?sectionId=14&id=48583
- Lawrence Berkley National Laboratory (n.d.) Commercial building ventilation and indoor environmental quality. Retrieved October 29, 2006 from http://eetd.lbl.gov/ie/viaq/viaq.html
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH). (2004). Death in the line of duty, Report F2004-18. Retrieved August 25, 2006 from A hfef="http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/fire/pdfs/face200318.pdf">http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/fire/pdfs/face200318.pdf
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) (2000) Death in the line of duty, Report F2005-13. Retrieved March 12, 2006 from http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/fire/pdfs/face200513.pdf
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) (1998) Death in the line of duty, Report 98 F-05. Retrieved October 29, 2006 from http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/fire/pdfs/face9805.pdf
- National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST). (2005). Report on the technical investigation of the station nightclub fire, Report NCSTAR-2, Volume I. Gaithersburg, MD: Author.
Ed Hartin, M.S., EFO, MIFireE, CFO is a Battalion Chief with Gresham Fire and Emergency Services in Gresham, Oregon. Ed has a longstanding interest in fire behavior and has traveled internationally, studying fire behavior and firefighting best practices in Sweden, the UK, and Australia. Along with Paul Grimwood (UK), Shan Raffel and John McDonough (Australia), Ed co-authored 3D Firefighting: Techniques, Tips, and Tactics a text on compartment fire behavior and firefighting operations published by Fire Protection Publications. Ed has delivered compartment fire behavior training (CFBT) and tactical ventilation training in the US, Australia, and Malaysia. Ed has also authored articles in a number of fire service publications in the US and UK, and presented at the British Fire Service College's annual research conference in 2006. The International Association of Fire Chiefs (IAFC) at its 2006 Annual Conference recognized Gresham Fire and Emergency Services compartment fire behavior training (CFBT) program as a finalist for an Award of Excellence. At the same conference, the Commission on Fire Accreditation International awarded Ed Chief Fire Officer (CFO) designation.