In conjunction with the 2008 Fire/EMS Safety, Health and Survival Week: Committed to Long-Term Results, Firehouse.com has compiled a number of training articles, podcasts, webcasts and additional rescources to help department better prepare and train for this week.
Print these articles, and review them with your crew. Post them so everyone can learn. Gather your crew around the computer and listen to the Radio@Firehouse podcasts or view a Firehouse.com TrainingLIVE webcast. These online resources bring some of the top fire instructors to your station.
Podcasts for 2008:
- Podcast: Near-Miss Listen & Learn: Reports for Safety, Health and Survival Safety Week
- Podcast: VCOS Radio: Fire/EMS Safety, Health and Survival Week
Health & Wellness Features on Firehouse.com
- What Is Killing America's Firefighters?
- Who is Responsible for the Unfit Firefighter?
- Firefighter Fitness in 2008
- How to Motivate Firefighters to Workout
- The 3 Fs of Firefighter Conditioning: Fitness, Fat Loss and Function
- Five Facets Of A Successful Fitness Program
- The Fast Track to Firefighter Fitness: Sequenced Timed Sets
- SOP: Click here for the Physical Fitness SOP/SOG from Anchorage, AK.
- NFPA 1582 Standard: Comprehensive Occupational Medical Program for Fire Departments
- NFPA 1583 Standard: Health-Related Fitness Programs for Fire Department Members
Click here to view the Health & Fitness section.
Personal Protective Equipment Features on Firehouse.com
- PPE Maintenance 101
- Larry's Legal Lessons: New OSHA Rule Requires Employers to Purchase PPE
- S.C.B.A. Considerations
- S.C.B.A. Considerations - Part 2: Emergency Check Procedures
- One Skill, One Drill, One Hour: Quick SCBA Confidence Course
- SOP: Click here for the Personal Protectve Equipment SOP/SOG from Nixa, MO.
- SOP: Click here for the Personal Protectve Equipment/SCBA SOP/SOG from Roseville, MN.
- NFPA 1500 Standard: Fire Department Occupational Safety and Health Program
- NFPA 1971 Standard: Protective Ensembles for Structural Fire Fighting and Proximity Fire Fighting
- NFPA 1851 Standard: Selection, Care, and Maintenance of Protective Ensembles for Structural Fire Fighting and Proximity Fire Fighting
- NFPA 1852 Standard: Selection, Care, and Maintenance of Open-Circuit Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA)
- NFPA 1975 Standard: Station/Work Uniforms for Fire and Emergency Services
- NFPA 1977 Standard: Protective Clothing and Equipment for Wildland Fire Fighting
Emergency Vehicle Response Features on Firehouse.com
- Vehicle Safety: The Big Picture
- Emergency Vehicle Driver Training: More Important Than Ever
- Developing Procedures For Emergency Vehicle Response
- An Old Flaw in Our First Line of Defense: Seat Belts
- EVOC: The Missing Part of Driver Training
- Safer Driving Operations Offered
- Apparatus Accidents: Nobody Wins
- Podcast: Leadership on the line: Seat Belts Past, Present, Future
- Podcast: The Apparatus Architects: Accident Liability and Older Units
- Webcast: EVOC: Anatomy of a Rollover Accident
- Podcast: The Apparatus Architects Archives
- Click here to download the Seat Belt Pledge in PDF format
- Click here to download the Seat Belt Pledge in Word format
- Firehouse.com Weekly Drill:
- SOP: Click here for the Emergency Vehicle Response SOP/SOG from Roseville, MN.
- SOP: Click here for the Emergency Vehicle Response SOP/SOG from Rush, NY.
- SOP: Click here for the Personal Vehicle Response SOP/SOG from Crosby, TX.
- Click here for Michael Wilbur's Firehouse Magazine "EVOC" Column Archives
- Firehouse.com's Vehicle Operations section
- NFPA 1901 Standard: Automotive Fire Apparatus
Click here to view the Firehouse.com Vehicle Operation section.
Related Websites with Rescources
- NFPA Podcasts: Each weekday, a new podcast will higlight one of the topic areas
- FirefighterCloseCalls.Com - Home of the Secret List
- National Fire Fighter Near-Miss Reporting System
Click here if you would like to submit training articles or ideas Firehouse.com for publication.