To access the remainder of this piece of premium content, you must be registered with Firehouse. Already have an account? Login
Register in seconds by connecting with your preferred Social Network.
Complete the registration form.
- Obtain a length of plastic PVC pipe.
- Cut a window in the side of the pipe.
- Secure both ends with caps.
- Drill holes in each cap and insert a piece of PVC pipe one inch longer than the base. This will act as a spool to wind the rope on.
- Fasten tees on both ends.
- Drill a hole in the spool. Insert the rope and secure it with a knot.
- Attach a handle.
- Clearly label the amount of rope that is on the roller. Place a company ID tag on the end of the line.
John G. Riker, a 32-year veteran of the fire service, is captain of Newark, NJ, Fire Department Truck 1. He is a New Jersey state-certified instructor, and a member of the instructional staff of the Newark Fire Department Division of Training and the Passaic County Fire Training Academy. Riker is a general partner in Emergency Training Associates, LLC, a fire service consulting firm.