FORT WAYNE, IN – JAN. 12, 2012: Forty firefighters fought a blaze in an auto-parts shop with leaking auto fuel lighting off and propane tanks exploding. The fire was extinguished with no injuries. Hazmat operations were set up to control leaking fuel runoff into city sewers and streets.
Photo credit: Photo by Marc Schroeder
Pawtucket, RI – Dec. 1, 2011: One woman was displaced by a kitchen fire in her duplex. She was the mother of a Massachusetts National Guardsman who sustained fatal injuries in Afghanistan earlier in the year.
Ocala, FL – Dec. 7: Firefighters responded to a morning fire inside a vacant wood-frame dwelling that caused significant damage.
Old Saybrook, CT – Dec. 11: Two vacation homes were destroyed by fire and a third sustained minor exterior damage. Upon arrival, one home was engulfed in flames, a second was well involved and the third had fire impinging on it. The department responded with 44 firefighters using three engines and a ladder truck.
East Cocalico TOWNSHIP, PA – Dec. 12: Three members of a family were killed, including parents and their 24-year-old daughter, in a two-alarm house fire. A 17-year-old daughter jumped to safety and two other people, a police officer and a firefighter, were injured.
Norfolk, VA – Dec. 27: Combustibles near a baseboard heater sparked a fire in a multi-family home. A neighbor was credited with rescuing a woman and her 2-year-old daughter.
Lee, MA – Jan. 5, 2012: Fire broke out in a lumber yard at a large storage building that was used to store six delivery vehicles, as well as plywood, sheetrock and other building materials. Crews were hampered by frigid temperatures.
Sherman Oaks, CA – Jan. 6: An Armenian family celebrating the Orthodox Christmas was alerted to fire in their living room by smoke alarms. Their massive 20-foot fully decorated Christmas tree was ablaze and the fire subsequently spread to the second floor and attic. One firefighter was injured.
Horry County, SC – Jan. 11: A man and his two grandsons, ages 9 and 7, died in a fire at their double-wide mobile home.
Las Vegas, NV – Jan. 12: Damage was estimated at $25,000 after a fire in a one-story wood-frame/stucco apartment building. Seven people were displaced.
Fort Wayne, IN – Jan. 12, 2012: Forty firefighters fought a blaze in an auto-parts shop with leaking auto fuel lighting off and propane tanks exploding. The fire was extinguished with no injuries. Hazmat operations were set up to control leaking fuel runoff into city sewers and streets. Photo by Marc Schroeder
Thanks to contributors: Don Bain, David R. Bowen, Jay K. Bradish, Donald E. Brady, Lee D. Hitchcock, Charles Losaw, Brian Stoothoff, Timothy R. Szymanski and Richard N.White.
To Submit fire wire ITEMS:
3 Huntington Quadrangle,
Melville, NY 11747
Or email: firstname.lastname@example.org