Hot Shots 11/12

LOS ANGELES, CA, SEPT. 14, 2012 – A major-emergency brushfire burned more than 90 acres in the Sepulveda Pass just east of the 405 Freeway and threatened the Bel-Air Canyon. The fire congested traffic across the Westside and had firefighters relentlessly battling flames for three days in record-breaking heat. Hoselines and Los Angeles Fire Department helicopters used aerial drops. Los Angeles County Fire Department helicopters, hand crews and fixed-winged Super Scoopers also were deployed to help battle the blaze. In addition, the Beverly Hills, Culver City and Santa Monica fire departments assisted. Rotating shifts of firefighters remained on scene for three days.

Photo by Mike Meadows


SANTA MONICA, CA, AUG. 15, 2012 – It took firefighters nearly 45 minutes to control an intense blaze that tore through a vacant building. The first firefighters on scene reported the building fully involved. Firefighters used handlines, portable monitors, engine monitors and a ladder pipe to knock down the flames and protect exposures. There were no reported injuries. The fire was confined to the building of origin, which collapsed and was a total loss. All Santa Monica units were working the fire, so via mutual aid agreements, units from Culver City and Los Angeles covered empty stations. The cause of the early-morning fire was under investigation.

Photo by Martin Nate Rawner


BUFFALO, NY, AUG. 25, 2012 – Firefighters of the 7th Battalion were called out to battle a second-alarm fire in an auto garage that spread to a restaurant and house across from Engine 23’s firehouse.

Photo by David F. Kazmierczak


DETROIT, MI, SEPT. 5, 2012 – Companies from the 9th battalion responded to a dwelling fire. Upon arrival, Engine 50 reported a working fire in an occupied 1½-story dwelling. Chief 9 arrived on the scene, assumed incident command and requested an additional company as a rapid intervention team. The fire was brought under control using two lines in 15 minutes. Engines 50, 58 and46, Ladder 23, Squad 6 and Chief 9 responded.

Photo by Dennis Walus