Fire Wire 11/12

SEPT. 1: GREENBELT, MD – Two firefighters were injured when apparatus responding to a possible house fire collided with a vehicle. The possible house fire turned out to be a malfunctioning electrical outlet.


SEPT. 3: WEST MAUI, HI – Sixty firefighters battled a blaze at a resort and managed to contain it to the building that included the hotel’s gym, sauna, kitchen and offices. Hotel guests were evacuated due to heavy smoke.


SEPT. 20: CHICAGO, IL – A space heater placed too close to a bed was the suspected cause of a fire that claimed the life of a two-month-old girl. The fire displaced 30 people.


SEPT. 23: OCALA, FL – Food left unattended on the stove in a mobile home was the cause of a fire that resulted in one civilian receiving significant burn injuries.


SEPT. 23: LAS VEGAS, NV – Firefighters from Las Vegas, Clark County and North Las Vegas battled a fast-moving two-alarm fire that injured four civilians and killed a cat. Crews arrived to find the back of the house and the yard on fire with wind spreading fire to neighboring homes. In all, six homes were damaged.


SEPT. 26: SOUTHINGTON, CT – The interior of Jitters Café – which contained a café, bookstore and day spa – suffered heavy damage after a blaze that began in the kitchen.


Thanks to contributors: David Bowen, Jay K. Bradish, Brian Stoothoff.