N.J. Fire Co. Found Responsible for Man's Injuries

A jury awarded the man $20.5M  and found the Northside Engine Company 60 percent responsible.


The Northside Engine Company was found responsible for a incident in which a man lost an arm and a leg in 2007 after stepping on live electrical wires that fell on his driveway after a storm, according to Asbury Park Press

A jury awarded $20.5 million in damages to William Hagerman Jr. and his wife on Friday, attorney Norman Hobbie told the newspaper.

The fire company was found 60 percent responsible while the Jersey Central Power & Light Co. was found 40 percent responsible.

The settlement amount was to cover medical costs, disability, deformity, physical suffering and the cost of prosthetic devices which have to be changed every three to five years.

Hagerman was shocked on Feb. 15, 2007 when he stepped on the lives wires after he got out of his car in his driveway after a storm.

The lawsuit claimed that the fire company had previously left the scene knowing that the 7,200-volt wire was still on the ground in the driveway.

Hobbie said that while they called the power company, they left the scene unattended.