Two Colo. Firefighters Injured Battling Blaze

AURORA, Colo. --

Two Aurora firefighters were injured battling a fire in an apartment building in the 2000 block of South Paris Way Sunday morning, Capt. Allen Robnett said.

Crews were responding to a fire in a third floor unit at the Windridge Apartments when a ceiling panel collapsed on two firefighters. Both were able to walk out of the building on their own. They were transported to an area hospital.

Robnett said one of the men was treated and released. The second firefighter was being kept for observation of a minor head injury, but was expected to be released by the end of the day.

When firefighters arrived at the apartment building shortly before 8:30 a.m., they found flames in a third floor unit. Robnett said they believed the fire started in an enclosed patio and traveled inside. A resident admitted to falling asleep on a futon with a lit cigarette in his hand.

Two units below the apartment, where the fire started, were also evacuated. Robnett did not know whether the residents of the first and second floor units would be allowed to return home Saturday.

Copyright 2011 by All rights reserved.