Standpipe Issues Noted in Report into N.C. LODD

A new report cites that a faulty standpipe contributed to the death of an Asheville firefighter at a burning medical office building last month, according to The Asheville Citizen-Times.

Capt. Jeff Bowen was overcome by heat and smoke during the arson fire at the five-story building at 445 Biltmore Avenue on July 28 and later died at the hospital.

The city's report also found that crews went longer without water than first thought, waiting close to 38 minutes from the time they left the station to when they were able to get water on the fire.

Fire Chief Scott Burnette said there is no evidence suggesting someone tampered with the standpipe.

The pipe passed a required inspection in April along with several tests following the fire, according to city records.

Investigators previously determined someone set the blaze by pouring fuel in four spots inside a fifth-floor suite.

The State Bureau of Investigation and city are handling the case and officials would not say if they currently have a suspect.