Two Ala. Firefighters Treated During Brush Fire

Two firefighters were treated for heat exhaustion after a brush fire scorched a wheat and bean field in Tanner Wednesday afternoon, according to The Decatur Daily.

Clements Firefighter Matthew Hayes and another firefighter were treated at the scene and are believed to be OK.

Temperatures over 100 degrees made it difficult for firefighters and other departments had to be called in.

Crews from Tanner, Clements and Athens battled the fire on Sommers Road about a half-mile north of Tanner High School that was first called in at approximately 2:30 p.m.

Officials said the fire consumed approximately 30 acres and the field was reportedly a complete loss.

Tanner Fire Chief Marty Posey told The News Courier that a cigarette butt tossed from a car was the possible cause of the blaze.