BENTONVILLE, Ark. --
A garbage truck hit a low-handing power line Friday, setting the truck on fire and injuring the driver.
The accident happen on 17th and Been streets in Bentonville in the Royal Point neighborhood about 10:15 a.m. Friday.
According to witnesses, part of the garbage truck touched low-hanging wire, causing the fire. Police said the driver was likely electrocuted.
The driver was pulled from truck by residents of the neighborhood who saw smoke coming from the truck.. The driver was unconscious and had no pulse, witnesses said.
A nursing student who saw the men pull the driver from the truck, performed CPR until rescue crews arrived. The driver was transported to Northwest Medical Center then taken by helicopter to another hospital in unknown condition.
Crews were still working at 1:30 p.m. to put out the fire in the garbage truck, which is owned by Allied Waste.
A Royal Point maintenance worker taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation, according to a supervisor.
Two other vehicles parked nearby were damaged by the fire.
Carroll Electric and Bentonville police are investigating why the wires were hanging down.
Copyright 2011 4029tv.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.