A man accused of setting a fire that led to injuries for seven Detroit firefighters has pleaded guilty.
Samson Wright appeared in federal court Tuesday and pleaded guilty to malicious use of fire last August at a commercial building on Detroit's east side. Because firefighters were injured, the charge carries a mandatory minimum sentence of seven years in prison.
Wright told investigators that he was paid $500 to set the fire with the promise of more money later.
Wright told investigators he worked with others and was not the one who started the fire.
A $15,000 reward had been offered in the case, and police said it was a tip that led them to Wright.
The U.S. attorney's office got involved because it was a building that housed a wireless phone store engaged in interstate commerce. Seven firefighters were hurt when bricks and debris fell on them.
They were: Eric Jurmo, 31; Brendan Milewski, 30; Brian Baulch, 31; Gerald Rutkowski, 46; Jeron Whitehorn, 30; Shane Raxter, 37; and Robert Puckett, 50.
A criminal charge is pending against a co-defendant, Calvin Jones.
Copyright 2011 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.