Fire at Ga. Battery Facility Prompts Evacuation

CARTERSVILLE, Ga. --

Firefighters have finally been able to make entry into a battery recycling facility in Cartersville that caught fire Saturday afternoon.

Firefighters and witnesses at the scene said the batteries started exploding from the fire.

Emergency crews told Channel 2's George Howell that they began evacuating neighbors in the area because they weren't sure what kind of chemicals were in the batteries.

Hazmat crews were also at the scene helping with the situation.

Channel 2's Erica Byfield learned from officials at the Cartersville Medical Center, that eight people from the surrounding neighborhood were taken the hospital because of possible exposure.

Byfield said a decontamination tent had been set up outside the hospital, but hospital officials said none of the employees at the warehouse had been taken to the hospital.

It took firefighters about 3 hours before they could even get into the burning building.

Firefighters are investigating what sparked the fire. 

Copyright 2011 by . All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Loading