Nine firefighters were injured after the second story of a burning mansion in Huntingtown, Md. flashed over early Sunday morning.
Crews responded to the reported chimney fire at 3380 Soper Road shortly before midnight on March 19, according to press released from the Huntingtown Volunteer Fire Department.
Firefighters found smoke showing from the second floor of the 10,000 square foot mansion. They laid a supply line, advanced into the structure and began pulling the ceiling to find that the fire had quickly spread to the attic.
Conditions began to deteriorate and evacuation tones were sounded after there was zero visibility and intense heat in the structure.
The second floor soon flashed over, trapping nine firefighters.
Several of the firefighters were forced to bail out of windows and run through walls to make it out in time.
Once out, paramedics on the scene began to treat the injured firefighters.
Five of the injured firefighters were from the Huntingtown and four were with the Prince Frederick Volunteer Fire Department.
Two of the Huntingtown firefighters were seriously injured and transported by helicopter to Washington Hospital Center. The firefighter whose injuries were the most severe suffered respiratory burns, in addition to second degree burns to his hands, neck, and face regions and remains in serious condition.
The second firefighter is in stable condition with second degree burns to hands, neck and face and is expected to be released in two to three days.
The seven other firefighters were transported to Calvert Memorial Hospital for evaluation and have all been released.
The home is considered a total loss.