Prince George's County firefighters battled four fires in a seven hour span during a power outage during a winter storm that hit the area hard Wednesday night.
In one of the incidents crews rescued a woman from her burning home and she is expected to survive, according to a department press release.
Firefighters responded to the first call around 10:30 p.m. in the 100 block of Green Hill Avenue in Greenbelt to find heavy smoke with fire showing from the rear of the structure.
They began to initiate an interior fire attack, knocking down the flames within 20 minutes. A smoke alarm alerted a woman inside the house to the fire and she escaped without injury.
The next fire was reported shortly after 2:30 a.m. the following morning in the 4000 block of Alton Street in Boulevard Heights.
A young boy and an elderly woman were transported by paramedics to a local hospital for evaluation of smoke inhalation and minor injuries.
That fire was contained within 30 minutes.
Crews made a rescue during the third fire at approximately 4:30 a.m. at a burning home in the 4500 block of Woodgate Way in Gleen Dale.
A smoke alarm alerted the occupants and four family members were able to escape but a woman in her 60s was unable to exit the home and retreated to a second floor bedroom and could be heard screaming from a window when crews arrived.
Firefighters stretched hose lines and initiated an interior attack while another team positioned a ladder in the rear of the house and rescued the woman from the window.
She was evaluated on the scene by paramedic and was transported in serious condition to a hospital for treatment of second-degree burns and smoke inhalation.
There were 40 firefighters on the scene and it took them about 25 minutes to extinguish the blaze.
One firefighter was transported to an area hospital with undisclosed injuries.
The fourth fire occurred at approximately 5:30 a.m. at a house in the 5000 block of Pierce Avenue in College Park.
Crews found a single-story home with fire showing from the basement and began to attack the flames.
Firefighters were fighting the blaze from inside the structure when a partial collapse of the first floor occurred.
They immediately evacuated the home and initiated an exterior attack.
All firefighters were accounted for and were checked out by their incident commanders.
The cause of the fire was attributed to a fireplace in the basement.