Fire at a downtown Seattle hotel sent flames shooting from a window until firefighters put out the blaze near Interstate 5 Friday afternoon.
Video from a Washington Department of Transportation camera showed flames and black smoke coming from the Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza just before 5 p.m. as fire engines rushed to the scene at Sixth Avenue and Seneca Street.
No one was hurt.
The fire caused by a malfunctioning heater -- started on an outside wall of a room on the 24th floor, firefighters told KIRO 7 Eyewitness News reporter Alison Grande. The room was not rented. It was out of service for maintenance, said Sue Stangl of the Fire Department.
An alarm rang, and the building was evacuated, firefighters said.
Firefighters went from room to room, kicking in doors to make sure no one was inside, Grande reported during live coverage at 5:30 p.m.
Fire damage was reported on the 24th floor, and fire and water damage to the 25th floor, firefighters said.
Damage was estimated at $5,000, Stangl said.
Video from Chopper 7 showed black scorch marks on the side of the building.
Fire equipment blocked downtown Seattle streets in the area, but most of it was cleared by 6 p.m. and traffic was moving again on Sixth Avenue.
Metro said bus service was disrupted in the area.
Sprinklers in the high-rise were working but did not automatically turn on, firefighters told KIRO 7 Eyewitness News reporter Stacy Sakamoto. They said the fire blew out the window, so not enough heat built up in the room to trigger the sprinklers.
Copyright 2011 by KIROTV.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.