Christmas Fire Injures 2 Michigan Firefighters

HAZEL PARK, Mich. --

Two Hazel Park firefighters were injured Christmas evening as they battled a house fire.

The fire broke out in a house on Elza Street near Russell Street.

All of the people in the house at the time got out safely.

Hazel Park Fire Chief Ray Dewalt said the blaze began in an upstairs bedroom and spread to the attic.

"The residents did say they thought it might have been Christmas lights upstairs wrapped around the window that caught the drapery on fire," Dewalt said.

The official cause of the fire will not be determined until an investigation is completed.

One firefighter was struck by an object that fell through a bedroom ceiling from the attic. Another firefighter complained of neck or back pain.

The injuries to the two firefighters are not believed to be life-threatening.

Copyright 2010 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Loading