Oregon Boy Hurt in Fire Pit Explosion

GRESHAM, Ore. --

A 6-year-old boy was hospitalized Friday night after an explosion at a backyard fire pit in Gresham.

Firefighters were called to the home on Couch Court after a report of the explosion at 8:50 p.m. A Gresham fire spokesman said someone caused the explosion by throwing an object into the fire pit.

The boy suffered burns to his arms and face, fire officials said.

Doug Nelson, who lives nearby, said he heard the explosion.

"I was standing outside smoking a cigarette and then I heard a big pow! And I run to the backyard and there's screaming, the kid is on fire, and I guess the kid has gotten pretty badly burned," Nelson said.

A LifeFlight helicopter rushed the boy to Legacy Emanuel Hospital so he could be treated.

A second person was taken to a hospital by an ambulance because he also suffered burns to his arms and body. There's no word on the updated condition of the boy or the man who was hurt.

Gresham police are investigating.

Copyright 2010 by KPTV.com. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Loading