NEW CASTLE, Pa. --
A mother and her two children were taken to area hospitals Sunday morning after a fire at their New Castle home.
Officials said the blaze broke out at the house on North Ray Street at about 10:30 a.m.
Firefighters said the fire could have been a lot worse if two neighbors, Richard Crowl and Dave Boise, didnt help out.
I heard the screaming and hollering, Crowl said. One child seemed like he was pretty badly burned, so I was holding him.
Boise assisted the family by saving the dogs that were trapped inside.
All of the people went up to try to save the dogs, but it was too hot, Boise said.
New Castle Assistant Fire Chief Jim Dohnston thanked the neighbors for keeping the mother and kids from going back inside the house.
The mother and two childrens names and conditions have not been released.
When I arrived on the scene the two males had burns to their upper and lower extremities, Dohnston said.
The fire has been ruled an accident, but firefighters have not said what may have started it.
Copyright 2011 by WPXI.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.