Indiana Firefighter Burned in Blaze

BROWNSBURG, Ind. --  Two-dozen residents were forced out of their homes in a raging fire at an apartment complex in Brownsburg Thursday morning that heavily damaged or destroyed eight apartments. The fire broke out at about 8:30 a.m. at the...


BROWNSBURG, Ind. --

 

Two-dozen residents were forced out of their homes in a raging fire at an apartment complex in Brownsburg Thursday morning that heavily damaged or destroyed eight apartments.

The fire broke out at about 8:30 a.m. at the Brownsburg Crossing apartments, in the 1100 block of Windhaven Circle, near Interstate 74 and County Road 600 North.

A firefighter suffered neck and head burns while battling the blaze, but there were no other injuries, 6News' Jennifer Carmack reported.

Maintenance workers banged on doors to get residents out of the apartments.

"We heard the maintenance guy knocking on the door," said resident Jennifer Ashley. "Finally, he just walked in and said, 'You guys need to get out.'"

The fire was primarily contained to the upper level of the two-story building, but there was heavy water damage downstairs.

The roof collapsed, causing difficulty in battling the blaze, but firefighters were able to bring the fire under control within about an hour.

They also rescued several pets from the building, including rabbits, lizards and Jennie Rigby's dog, which was trapped in an upstairs apartment.

"I just burst into tears. I was so relieved because that was an unanswered prayer," she said after the dog was pulled from the building.

Officials credited maintenance workers for alerting residents to the fire.

"That's a hero that does something like that," said Deputy Chief Patrick Carmean with Brownsburg fire.

"Normally he would be some guy that comes to fix stuff if we needed it, and he ended up saving our lives today," Ashley said.

Hotel accommodations were made available to all displaced residents, and the apartment management group has found temporary housing at other complexes for everyone, Carmack reported.

Investigators said they believe the fire was sparked by an electrical issued at the back of the building.

Copyright 2010 by TheIndyChannel.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.