<?xml:namespace prefix = dme />
JOHNS CREEK, Ga. --
A gas leak and fire sparked by lightning prompted the evacuation of part of a north Fulton County neighborhood early Monday morning, according to firefighters.
Lightning struck a tree near a home on Hillgate Crossing, according to Chief Chad McGiboney of the Johns Creek Fire Department. The home caught fire.
The lightning blast also ruptured a gas line, so firefighters evacuated several homes in the neighborhood until the gas line could be shut down.
Channel 2 Action News reporter Mike Petchenik rushed to the scene.
"I spoke to the fire chief and he said they've evacuated at least eight homes," Petchenik reported at 6:30 a.m.
Atlanta Gas Light crews shut off the gas line shortly after 8 a.m. and residents were allowed to return to their homes.
Copyright 2010 by . All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.