LANSING, Kan. --
A house fire Sunday afternoon killed a 5-year-old daughter of a firefighter and injured three.
Lansing police said they got the fire call at 4:36 p.m. at 1005 N. 8th Street and said their preliminary investigation show that the girl might have been playing with a candle in a bedroom. While the family was watching TV, they began to smell smoke.
The girl was pronounced dead at the scene.
The father is a Leavenworth firefighter, Lansing fire officials said. The father tried several times to go inside and save his daughter, fire officials said.
"He ran upstairs and the bedroom door was closed," Leavenworth Fire District 1 Chief Rick Huhn said. "He opened the door and was hit with smoke and fire."
The father was taken to The University of Kansas Hospital. The man's wife and son were taken to Children's Mercy Hospital. A second daughter was not injured in the fire.
A memorial fund has been set up for the family at the Bank Midwest in Leavenworth.
Copyright 2010 by KCTV5.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.