About 20 people were left without homes after a large apartment fire on Indianapolis' northeast side late Sunday night.
The fire broke out just before 9 p.m. at the Avalon Lake apartments, near Binford Boulevard and Graham Road.
Firefighters said a man was heating grease on the stove when he left to go to the store with the stove still on. When he returned, the fire burned out of control.
Everyone got out of the apartment building safely, but 11 units were heavily damaged.
Firefighters battled the blaze for more than 90 minutes before it was brought under control. Narrow roads made battling the blaze especially difficult.
"Our biggest problem with an apartment complex is getting our apparatus back in here," said Indianapolis fire Capt. Kevin Witt. "It's a problem, usually, getting in here and getting all our apparatus and our manpower."
The American Red Cross is helping several of the families with shelter. Damage was estimated at about $350,000.
Copyright 2010 by TheIndyChannel.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.