A Botetourt County blaze drew firefighters to a home three times Monday (Jan. 25) afternoon and night and Tuesday morning, destroying the home and displacing two residents.
Crews were first called to the 300 block of Gibson Lane in Cloverdale about 1 p.m. Monday for a reported flue fire, according to Troutville Volunteer Fire Department Chief Scott Paderick.
Though there was minor damage, firefighters believed they had the fire contained. About 8 p.m., crews were called back to the residence for newly spotted flames.
Firefighters fought the second iteration of the blaze for more than four hours, using foam to protect the nearly century-old wood-frame structure. They left after midnight.
About 5 a.m. Tuesday, firefighters were again summoned to the residence, where they found the home engulfed in flames.
The fire started in a wood stove and has been ruled an accident, according to Botetourt County sheriff's Detective N.C. Tolley.
The house, which contained many antiques and valuable firearms, is a total loss, Tolley said. He could not provide a damage estimate.
Residents Tommy and Patricia Gibson were displaced, but there were no reported injuries. The Gibsons are staying in a modular home on the property.
Paderick said he couldn't remember another time when crews were called back to a blaze so many times.
"I'm at a loss for words," he said.