Welder Sparks Pennsylvania Explosion



Two people were injured Monday after a commercial garage caught fire in Middle Paxton Township, Dauphin County.

IMAGES: Fire Scene

It started just after 11 a.m. at Speece Garages along Speece Road. Smoke could be seen for several miles.

Witnesses say a welder was working on an empty barrel that contained flammable fumes. It exploded, burning the welder and setting fire to the garage.

"The building is used to car repair, truck repair, and they did state inspections in there. It's a regular garage," said John Fulton, a relative.

Crews from three counties, Dauphin, Cumberland and Perry, responded to the blaze.

"There was residual oil and fluids in there along with acetylene torches, welding systems, propane, fuel -- so it was fed by a lot of different materials," said Middle Paxton Township Fire Chief Joe Wynn.

A few cars and SUVs were destroyed as well as a large motor home.


Copyright 2010 by WGAL.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.