Fire Rips Through Calif. Apartments


A two-alarm fire that ripped through an apartment complex Wednesday evening has left eight families displaced.

The fire started in a bottom floor unit of the complex located at 605 Tuttle Avenue at about 6 p.m.

The fire quickly spread and two units were destroyed by the blaze, while other units had smoke damage, fire officials said.

Officials said the fire started when a kitchen stove was left on and grease left in a frying pan was the source for the flames.

Those who were displaced by the blaze are being helped by the Santa Cruz County chapter of the Red Cross.

The fire is estimated to have caused $250,000 in total damage.

There were no major injuries caused by the fire.

Copyright 2009 by All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.