SANTA CRUZ, Calif. --
Homes have been evacuated after a wildfire broke out early Sunday in the Santa Cruz Mountains, Cal Fire officials said.
The so-called Loma Fire, which started at Maymens Flat and Highland roads at about 3 a.m., is currently threatening 250 structures and had scorched 600 acres as of 4 p.m. Sunday.
Images: Loma Fire Ignites In Santa Cruz Mountains
Hundreds of homes were evacuated Sunday morning in areas of Summit Road, Highland Way and Maymens Flats. An evacuation center has been set up at
Hundreds of personnel from Cal Fire and local fire departments have been called to the scene.
Firefighters are dealing with low humidity and high winds, which is making the fire fight difficult, Cal Fire said.
During May 2008, a fire broke out on Summit Road near where the Loma Fire is burning.
The Summit Fire burned 4,270 acres and consumed 132 residential structures and outbuildings along Summit Road.
The blaze, which started May 22 and was finally contained May 27, cost $14.85 million to fight.
Map: Loma Fire-121.827049255371137.084488441170514
Loma Fire by the numbers as of 4 p.m., according to Cal Fire:
- Date/Time Started: October 25, 2009 3:00 am
- Administrative Unit: CAL FIRE Santa Cruz Unit
- County: Santa Cruz County
- Location: Area of Maymens Flat - Highland Road, Eureka Canyon and Ormsby
- Acres Burned: 600 acres
- Containment 600 acres -- 5 percent containment
- Threatened: 250 structures threatened
- Evacuations: Evacuations are in place for Ormsby Cut Off.
- Cause: Under Investigation
- Total Fire Personnel: 825
- Engines: 100
- Fire crews: 26
- Airtankers: 8
- Helicopters: 5
- Dozers: 12
- Water Tenders: 6
- Conditions: Road Closures: Intersection Highland Way, Intersection Highland Way, Ormsby Cut Off, Summit, Pole Line Summit and Pole Line, Maymens Flat Road, Highland Way, Loma Prieta, Mt. Madonna, Spanish Ranch. Strong north winds at 30 mph.
For more information on the Loma Fire, you can contact Cal Fire at 831-335-6718.
Copyright 2009 by KCRA.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.