Explosion, Fire, Destroy Florida Home

PALM BAY, Fla. --

An explosion inside the garage of a Palm Bay home sparked a devastating fire that destroyed the house early Saturday morning.

The three residents inside the house were able to escape unharmed.

According to a spokeswoman for Palm Bay, the blaze was believed to have been sparked by flammable vapors exposed to heat or electricity inside the garage.

Palm Bay firefighters responded to the house on Schuster road around 3:15am after callers to 911 reported hearing loud explosions.

The house was engulfed in flames when they arrived.

Residents inside the home were awakened by the explosions and got out safely through the back door.

Damage to the home was estimated to be $230,000. Two cars inside the garage were also destroyed.

Copyright 2009 by wftv.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Loading