Blaze Injuring Colo. FFs Accidental

FORT COLLINS, Colo. --

Firefighters said a blaze at a sprawling house near Fort Collins was accidentally started by a gas log fireplace in the family room.

Two firefighters were injured battling the fire at the 12,000-square foot home near Douglas Lake Saturday afternoon. The home is under bank ownership and the home's caretakers were not at the house at the time.

An ice fisherman on Douglas Lake spotted the smoke and made the 911 call for firefighters.

The roof and one side of the house were in flames when firefighters arrived. The roof in that part of the house collapsed due to fire damage. It took 40 firefighters from Poudre Fire Authority and Wellington Fire Protection District to contain the blaze.

Firefighters were able to contain the fire damage to the wall around the fireplace chimney and attic area, fire officials said Monday. The first floor suffered moderate smoke damage; however, the basement was spared. The house is uninhabitable.

One firefighter was treated at the scene after being struck by falling debris inside the home. Another firefighter was transported to the hospital because of a medical condition. That firefighter was later released and returned to duty.

Copyright 2009 by TheDenverChannel.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Loading