Chimney Fire Displaces Colo. Family

GOLDEN, Colo. --

A chimney fire displaced a family of six in Golden Tuesday morning.

West Metro Fire responded to the home at 1255 Youngsfield St. and found the roof around the chimney on fire. There was also extensive damage to several rooms in the home.

The homeowner said he hadn't had the chimney cleaned in 15 years.

The Mile High Chapter of the American Red Cross is assisting the family after the home was deemed unsafe by the building department.

"West Metro Firefighters remind homeowners to have their fireplaces cleaned every year before firing them up for the winter season," said Micki Trost, a Life Safety Education specialist with the fire department. "Without proper maintenance creosote builds up in the chimneys and stovepipes. Heating fires account for 36 percent of all residential home fires."

Trost also reminded homeowners to double check their smoke alarms to make sure they are in working order.

Report a typo or inaccuracyCopyright 2009 by TheDenverChannel.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Loading