HALLANDALE BEACH, Fla. --
Firefighters battled a stubborn blaze Wednesday afternoon at an auto shop in Hallandale Beach.
Broward County firefighters had a tough time knocking down the flames at Klondike Auto Service in the 200 block of Northwest Fifth Avenue. The smoke was visible from several miles away.
Investigators told Local 10 the fire began sometime Wednesday evening, just before the shop was scheduled to shut down for the night.
The building was filled with flammable materials -- cars, gasoline, tires, oil. The end result was a total loss to most of the cars that was inside the building or anywhere near it.
Investigators said that two men were working on a car and somehow flames ignited. It is still unclear, however, what sparked the blaze.
The fire burned so hot that the roof of the repair shop caved in. At one point, firefighters were forced to evacuate.
Firefighters fought the fire late into Wednesday night and were still battling hot spots on Thursday morning.
A Broward Rescue HAZMAT team was called to help out.
No injuries were reported.
Copyright 2009 by Post-Newsweek Stations. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed