Mistake Blamed for Detroit Campus Fire

DETROIT --

Authorities said someone left an electronic device plugged in, causing a fire at a building at Wayne State University.

The fire started on the fifth floor of the Biological Building causing students and staff to evacuate. The fire spread through two of the classrooms. Police said no one was on the floor when the fire started and no one was hurt, but school officials said six years of research has been ruined.

"I think it's safe to say with extensive damage there's quite a bit of loss to those two labs," said Chief Anthony Holt of Wayne State University Police.

Initially firefighters were also concerned because the building is home to a lot of chemicals.

"We're just taking proper precautions, make sure no chemicals involved and there were no chemicals involved. We downgraded it to a simple fire," said Battalion Chief Robert Latka of Detroit Fire Department.

Officials plan to have the building back open for classes by Monday.

Copyright 2009 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Loading