Girl, 7, Saves Family During Miami House Fire

Investigators said the power was out in the house and a candle started the fire.


MIAMI --

A family who were trapped inside their home Wednesday morning when a fire broke out were saved because of a 7-year-old girl, officials said.

Fire officials said the fire broke out in the familys Miami home near the Dolphins Expressway at Northwest 27thAvenue while the family was asleep. The door was locked and the people inside were able to squeeze through a missing bar on the front security gate.

But investigators said the family inside, the girl, her mother and aunt, probably would have died if the 7-year-old didnt wake up the family to alert them of the fire.

This little girl, obviously being awaken by the smoke, was able to wake up her family and get them out, Lt. Ignatius Carrol of Miami Fire Rescue said. She definitely saved their lives today.

When firefighters arrived smoke poured out of the house as they sprayed it with water. Firefighters used a saw to get into the unit next door, NBC 6s Steve Litz Reported.

Investigators said the power was out in the house and a candle started the fire.

Had the bar on the door been there then we probably would have had three people trapped in the house, Carrol said. "They probably would not have gotten out alive.

Carrol said residents should be aware of the dangers of using candles. He also said residents should be aware of where the key is incase your front door or security gate is locked with a deadbolt.

The three people rescued are staying with neighbors.

Copyright 2009 by NBC6.net. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.