Woman Killed in Texas House Fire

FORT WORTH, Texas --

Fire investigators said a 54-year-old woman died in a late-night house fire in rural Collin County on Sunday.

Mary Sue Doyal, 54, died after a fire erupted inside house in the 5000 block of County Road 468, just north of Princeton just after 10:30 p.m.

Collin County Fire Marshal Steve Deffibaugh said her husband, 58-year-old Steven Doyle, had fallen asleep and was awakened by a neighbor who had just gotten home.

"He observed the fire, came over and broke into the house and actually was able to drag the man out," Deffibaugh said.

Deffibaugh said there was little firefighters could do to save Mary Sue Doyal.

"He did confirm that his wife was still in the house, and the house at that time was fully engulfed, and (in) just about all rooms, fire was starting to come in," he said.

Steven Doyle suffered from smoke inhalation, but is expected to recover.

Investigators said they are not sure what started the fire, but said a candle may be to blame.

Members of the congregation at the Altoga Baptist Church said they were shocked to hear of Doyal's death.

"She was a wonderful person; she was always jolly and happy," friend Carolyn Watkins said.

Watkins said church members will pull together to support Steven Doyal through his tragic loss.

"Our heart goes out to him, and we just pray that God wraps his arms around him," Watkins said.

Loading