WOODLAWN, Va. --
A Woodlawn man who smelled smoke inside his home Thursday afternoon rushed into his 2-year-old daughter's bedroom, grabbed her and escaped to safety, just before the house went up in flames, Hillsville firefighter David Young said.
The fire happened at a home on Oxford Lane at about 3:30 p.m.
Young said the man, Joe Chappell, was working in the kitchen when he smelled the smoke. When he opened the front door, fire rushed in over his head, Young said.
That's when Chappell grabbed his daughter, who was asleep in bed, and made it out safely.
Young said the frigid 14-degree temperatures made fighting the fire difficult.
The cause of the fire wasn't immediately known.
No injuries were reported.
Copyright 2009 by WXII12.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.