Virginia Firefighters Save Dog From House Fire

The structure was filled with smoke and the fire was kicking. Richmond's Bravest made entry and in the primary search discovered a dog in distress.

It all began when Richmond was toned out at 14:30 to the 3500 block of 5th Ave on the 4th of December for a possible structure fire.

Apparatus responding included Engine 14, Quint 11, Quint 5, Quint 15, Rescue 1 and Bttn. 1.

Arriving crews reported moderate smoke showing from a single family wood frame dwelling

Officials said Engine 14 laid out with a 4-inch supply line and stretched a 1 3/4-inch through the front door and found fire in the living room area. Quint 5 operated as the 2nd due engine company. The 3rd due stretched a 1 3/4-inch inside and worked to get above the fire to check for extension and found fire in the attic.

Quint 5's crew stretched in 5's driver set up the tower ladder.

Quint 11, (2nd due) operated as the truck company started search operations and ventilation.

Rescue Company 1 came in and started search operations splitting into two search groups, one team with a TIC and the other search group with Captain Harkness without the TIC.

Officials said that using good old fashion search methods Captain Harkness was able to locate the dog. Captain Harkness then brought the dog out of the fire and handed it to Lt. Dabrishus and Firefighter Berry Wilkerson, from Engine 15 to give the dog oxygen and other medical treatment.

Firefighters worked diligently and were able to revive the dog who was suffering from smoke inhalation.

Quint 15, (4th due) operated as the RIT.

There were no exposures or extensions.

Officials said that the house was under renovation and there was a lot of construction debris that firefighters had to maneuver around in zero visibility conditions.

One firefighter fell through the floor boards that had rotted away but was not injured. After Engine14 laid out from the hydrant person reported caps were missing from the hydrant and he could not charge the line.

With Quint 15 coming in not far behind, Lt. Dabrishus with his quick thinking had a firefighter run a 2 1/2-inch nozzle to the hydrant so they could put it on the open discharge to close it off so the 4-inch supply line could be charged supplying water to 14's Engine.

No-one was home at the time of the fire.

Cause is under investigation.