Misuse of Kerosene Heater Blamed for Ohio House Fire

Fire investigators in Greenville said the occupant of a house that caught on fire late Friday night was using a kerosene heater to thaw a frozen water pipe.


Fire investigators in Greenville said the occupant of a house that caught on fire late Friday night was using a kerosene heater to thaw a frozen water pipe. Fire Chief Mark Wolf said in the case of frozen water pipes "call a professional plumber who has the right equipment to do the job."

Firefighters found the house at 908 Gray St. engulfed in flames when the first truck arrived on the scene.

They called for mutual aid from neighboring New Madison and called-in off duty Greenville firemen.

The blaze was quickly brought under control.

There were no injuries.

Damage to the house and contents estimated at $60,000.

Steve.Baker@WHIOTV.com