3 Firefighters Injured in New Hampshire House Fire

Three firefighters suffered minor injuries while battling a two-alarm fire in Manchester.


MANCHESTER, N.H. --

Three firefighters suffered minor injuries while battling a two-alarm fire in Manchester on Tuesday afternoon.

Crews were able to extinguish the fire at a single-family home on Hall Street after fighting it for about two hours. The homeowner was not at home when the fire began and pulled up to her house just as flames started spreading.

A firefighter was injured when he lost his balance and fell down a flight of stairs, and another suffered heat exhaustion. Both were taken to a hospital for treatment and released.

Another firefighter was treated at the scene for minor burns.

Two passersby tried to save the homeowner's two cats and dog.

"She said there were two cats and a dog in the building," passerby Matt Blanchette said. "We tried to get the cats out, but there was no hope. We came around to the front. She gave us the keys to the door. I went in through the front door and tried to get the dog. She said it was in a cage around the corner. I couldn't get the dog out. She just lost her husband."

Firefighters confirmed that the dog and one of the cats died, and they were still looking for the third animal.

Officials said the fire seemed to be started by a fan that overheated. They are checking to see whether a circuit was overloaded.


News stories provided by third parties are not edited by "Site Publication" staff. For suggestions and comments, please click the Contact link at the bottom of this page.