Exploding Golf Cart Battery Blamed For Massive Florida Fire

A massive fire that destroyed five apartment units and several cars at an Orange County, Fla., apartment complex was sparked by an exploding golf cart battery inside of a nearby shed, investigators told Local 6 News on Friday.

Witnesses said flames were first spotted coming from a shed Thursday at the Carlton Arms apartments located near Aloma Road and Semoran Boulevard.

"The fire started at around 7 p.m. last night when a cart battery exploded and paint and other flammable liquids fueled flames for close to an hour," Local 6 reporter Vanessa Medina said.

The blaze engulfed the shed and then spread to a nearby building.

The fire damaged two apartment buildings and five cars before firefighters were able to bring it under control.

There were no reported injuries in connection with the fire.

The complex rented hotel rooms for the displaced families.

The incident remains under investigation.

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.

Copyright 2006 by Internet Broadcasting Systems and Local6.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Loading