Apartment residents woke up Tuesday morning to the smell of smoke and quickly realized it was not burning food, and that the apartment was on fire.
Firefighters said everyone managed to escape the burning structure, which is located in West Milton, before the flames spread.
When firefighters first arrived at the old house that had been converted into several apartments, they feared that there may have been people trapped inside the home and called for mutual aid from three other departments.
Mike Bowers, who lived in one of the apartments, said he first thought the stove was on fire. He said his smoke detector did not go off, but he soon discovered the fire in the hallway.
Bowers said he laced up his boots, put a coat on and quickly got everyone out of the house.
Fire officials said they were able to get the flames under control because of the extra manpower.
Capt. Ben Herron said, The point of origin is the ceiling in the basement. May be the wiring, but not sure at this point.
Fire investigators said it appears the fire started in a vacant basement apartment. They said there is a hole in the floor of the first floor apartment.
The fire remains under investigation.
Copyright 2006 by . All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.