Candle Blamed for Las Vegas Condo Fire

Fire investigators determined that an unattended candle, used because the electricity was disconnected to the unit, was left burning in the living room started the blaze


Las Vegas fire investigators believe an unattended candle left burning in the living room of a northwest Las Vegas condo early Wednesday morning started the fire that heavily damaged the unit. A woman who was asleep in the condo at the time of the fire escaped through an upstairs bedroom window. The fire has been ruled accidental.

Firefighters responded to the Eleven-11 Condominium Homes complex on West Charleston Boulevard at 3:04 a.m. When firefighters arrived an upstairs condo was heavily involved with fire and smoke. The fire caused an estimated $100,000 damage to two units.

Fire investigators determined that an unattended candle that was left burning in the living room started the blaze. The occupant was using candles because the electricity was disconnected to the unit. The only occupant inside the unit at the time of the fire told investigators she woke to the smell of smoke in one of the bedrooms. When she tried to escape, she found the living room heavily involved with fire. She had to escape through a bedroom window. The fire gutted the living room and heavily damaged the attic space above the living room. The rest of the unit had heavy heat and smoke damage. A downstairs unit had minor water damage.