A faulty light fixture was blamed for sparking a two-alarm fire at a Northwest side apartment Wednesday night, according to fire officials.
The fire caused about $80,000 worth of damage to a unit at the Whispering Oaks Apartment complex in the 2400 block of Northwest Military.
Fire investigators said the fire began in an unoccupied unit on the second floor of the apartment building.
District Fire Chief Ron Rodriguez said the building's maintenance worker tried to put the fire out.
"He went up there and looked, and it seemed to be an electrical fixture that had caught fire. The fire spread up the wall and got into the attic," said Rodriguez.
The fire was contained to one unit.
Seven other units sustained smoke and water damage. Apartment managers were locating units for displaced residents.
Copyright 2006 by KSAT.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.